Our HistoryThe Sardis Church was founded in 1838 or 1839 (records differ). What is often called the original Sardis Methodist Church building was erected on the current site in approximately 1853 by the late Mr. J.D. Morris. He financed the building and acquired the slaves from Turnbull plantation to build the Church.
After the death of Mr. Morris, his widow, Mrs. Katherine Morris, gave the Church to the Waukeenah Charge.
This original Church served the people of this community for ninty-five years. In 1958, the church being badly in need of repairs, under the inspiration of Rev. H.L. Boyd and with guidance of Rev. Curtis McMullen, the membership decided to build a new Church in memory of those who are lain at rest in the Sardis Cemetery.
The name of the new Church was changed to The Sardis Memorial Methodist Church. The cost of the new Church was $3,800.00, and was donated by the members of Sardis, those who have loved ones buried in Sardis Cemetery, or who were interested in the Church.
The Members of Sardis spent much time and effort in the building of the new Church. There hope was that the new Sardis church would served the people and community as well as the old .
In 2005, after membership dwindled to just a handfull, it seemed the legacy of Sardis was at an end, but God, had other plans. Determined members, led by Felix Bullard and Norwood Willis, brought in new Pastoral leadership and bodly determined to carry on. In 2007, armed with inspiration from God and with Giuidance of Pastor Stephen Lenzo, the Membership once again tackled the daunting task of restoration and renewal. A new roof was put on the Sanctuary and topped off by thorough washing and painting inside and out, then the coup de gras, new windows on the sanctuary, including stainded glass in the two front windows. The fellowship hall which had sat unused for years, was re-roofed a couple years earlier, and also received a thorough washing and painting inside and out, plumbing work, electrical work, some AC units and was again put into service.
God is so good. Since then we have had a number of “re-firsts”. Sunday school again being held in the fellowship hall. VBS again being held at the church – in 2010 some 40 children in attendance. Bible studies during the week, marriage enrichment classes, youth activities and more. Yes, God is alive and well and He is good and He has a made a home here at Sardis. Won’t you come visit us?